Thursday, August 6, 2026

Garden Progress, Pantry Prep, and Looking Ahead to a Cozy Winter πŸŒΏπŸ‘πŸ“š


 I finally got my cedar mulch for the garden! I am so excited. Not only does it improve the overall appearance, but it will also help keep unwanted weeds and pests under control. We added steppingstones throughout the garden to create comfortable walking paths, and these square stones were a win in my book. They were only 99 cents apiece at Menards! I also plan to use the same stones to make Liam a hopscotch path. πŸ˜‰


The garden shed has been pulling double duty lately as a drying space for herbs, and I must say, it is working out very well. Next on my list is adding a few DIY drying racks. The herbs are thriving right now, and the hibiscus has started blooming daily. My goal is to stock our pantry with plenty of homegrown herbs for seasoning blends, spices, and teas.


The zucchini, yellow squash, and cucumbers are beginning to produce as well. We plan to pickle the cucumbers, of course, and freeze most of the zucchini and squash we do not use for current meals. I am also considering dehydrating sliced zucchini to use later in bread, lasagna, and chips.


We are officially in full preserving mode as harvest season begins. So far, we have canned peaches and made peach jam. This coming weekend, blueberries and raspberries are on the list. After that, it will be tomatoes and apples.


This is our first year diving into the world of food preservation, so I fully expect it to be a learning experience. Every project teaches us something new, and hopefully it will help us create better systems and stock our pantry more efficiently next year.

Grass seed has been spread across the bare areas of our lawn that were damaged during construction. We also laid straw netting to help prevent the seeds from blowing away. Let me tell you, that netting is a trip hazard! It is absolutely necessary, though, if you can manage to keep it flat and prevent the edges from curling up.

We are praying for a thick, beautiful green lawn by next spring. Unfortunately, our sprinkler plans were a bit of a bust because of low water pressure. We are doing our best by rotating just two sprinklers between the lawn and the garden. I am hoping for plenty of rain and successful germination so the seeds can establish strong roots before they have a chance to wash away. With a little luck, we will have an even, healthy lawn throughout the property.

I must admit, I am tired of feeling rushed all the time. It feels wonderful to complete projects that will prevent bigger concerns later, but I also feel a strong urgency to create comfortable living spaces, add seating areas, and improve organization around the property and inside the home.

The reality is that these things cannot be rushed if they are going to be done well and on a budget. That is where the contradiction comes in. You almost need the projects finished before you can fully relax and enjoy your space, yet slowing down is necessary or you risk burning yourself out and taking steps backward.


Honestly, I need one of those naps that starts accidentally. You know the kind. You fall asleep on the couch while reading a book or watching a classic movie and wake up the next morning exactly where you fell asleep, still cozy under a blanket and feeling completely rested after an unexpected, uninterrupted fourteen-hour nap. The kind you used to have as a child when your parents would find you passed out under the coffee table because you fought sleep for just a little too long.


I am not a winter person. Not even a little. However, I do appreciate the slower pace it often brings. My hope is that we can finish the projects that truly need to be completed before the harsh weather returns so we can actually enjoy that slower season this year and function in a less stressful way.

As much as I love summer, I am looking forward to some of the simple joys of the colder months. I cannot wait to watch both the old and new Practical Magic movies, read more books, bake often, play games with family, work on puzzles, and put together little LEGO projects for family bonding time.



Last month, I was able to attend a local library book sale, which is one of my favorite things. I found some wonderful treasures and filled an entire Marshalls tote bag with books. I hope to attend many more sales in the future because I am building both my personal library and a future Leave One, Take One Library for the little shop I have been dreaming about.


Right now, I am reading The Mister by E. L. James. I am only on Chapter 5, but it is finally starting to pull me in as the newly titled earl and his maid begin developing feelings for one another without fully realizing it. I also picked up several books by Charles Frazier, author of Cold Mountain, which I am excited to read. Another series that caught my attention is Jennifer Moorman's books set in the fictional town of Mystic Water.

One of the things I love most about reading is how it allows you to visit new places and experience new perspectives without ever leaving home. It feels a little like riding Aladdin's magic carpet, except your imagination is doing all the traveling.

I would also love to find a good audiobook for those winter drives home from work. I am pretty selective when it comes to audiobooks because they can be very hit or miss for me. The story itself may be wonderful, but if the narrator cannot hold my attention, I am lost. If only every audiobook could be narrated by Julie Andrews or Morgan Freeman!

Next up on our winter preparation list is finishing our livestock upgrades. We still need to move the goats, build a new chicken feeder, and upgrade the animals' water systems before the harsh winter weather arrives. On top of that, we need to get the HD Lawncare equipment ready for fall cleanups, put the plow back on the truck, and prepare the garden tractor so we can easily access and care for our animals throughout the winter months.


Once those projects are finished, we can shift our focus indoors. I am looking forward to making our home more comfortable, organized, and cozy for the season ahead. After a busy year of building, planting, preserving, and preparing, I am hoping winter will bring a chance to slow down, enjoy the fruits of our labor, and spend more quality time with the people I love most.

No comments:

Garden Progress, Pantry Prep, and Looking Ahead to a Cozy Winter πŸŒΏπŸ‘πŸ“š

  I finally got my cedar mulch for the garden! I am so excited. Not only does it improve the overall appearance, but it will also help keep ...